Private Piano Instructor
Dr. Ann Chen is a private piano teacher, performer, and Music Theory and History Specialist at The Arts Academy at Steinway Piano Gallery. She has over fifteen years of experience teaching beginners and advanced students from the age of five to fifty. All students begin with a Classical foundation, and Dr. Chen adds other genres of music when suitable. Dr. Chen tailors her piano curriculum to meet each student’s needs while hoping to instill a lifelong love and appreciation for music into her students. At the minimum, each curriculum consists of repertoire, sight-reading, music theory, aural skills, and history. Dr. Chen highly encourages parental involvement for students especially at the beginner level, as this is key to the student’s success.
Students are involved in two annual studio recitals, one in June and December. Students also participate in annual adjudicated events such as Student Achievement Testing (SAT), the Federation Festival, The Music Development Program, and other local and state competitions. Dr. Chen teaches students on Saturdays. She expects students to put forth dedicated daily piano practice, as this is the only way to progress in their musical studies.
About Dr. Chen
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Piano and Piano Pedagogy at Madonna University
- Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Piano Performance at Michigan State University
- Master of Music degree in Piano Performance and Piano Pedagogy from the University of Oregon
- Bachelor of Music degree from the University of British Columbia
- Involved in research project focusing on graduate level piano pedagogy degrees in North America and the reconstruction of curriculum for courses at MSU
- President of the Livonia Area Piano Teacher Forum
Note: There is a one-time $25.00 enrollment fee to Steinway Piano Gallery. Siblings will receive a discount of $10.00 for enrolling.